Monday, November 21, 2011

Germany Reaches to Struggling European Union


Recently the Associated Press published an article that included a pleaful message from Berlin to Greece: “Help wanted!” According to the article, Germany quickly emerged from the financial crisis, which started in 2008. Because the German unemployment rate is at its 20 year low of 6.6 percent, organizations are reaching out to skilled workers in struggling countries of the European Union. This bold move by Germany poses many risks that may have both positive and negative consequences. However, I feel as though this outreach will have a positive overall impact on Germany and her EU counterparts because it will boost the economy of Germany and the workers’ home countries.

On a two-year service exhibition for my church, I saw this mingling of economies first-hand in Latvia. A majority of the people I contacted either had a parent or sibling working abroad or so planned to themselves. In the beginning I was slightly infuriated by this mass exodus because it caused the country to lose many of her skilled workers. I perceived the situation as bad because I felt as though only the elderly and the drunks were being left behind. However, as I continued my stay, I realized that fathers and siblings were sacrificing time with their families in order to support them. Countries including England, France, Germany, and Scottland made this possible.

So how can importing Greek workers improve the state of both Germany’s and Greece’s economies? First, we must understand that many of the jobs being offered are important to Germany. As estimated by the Association of German Engineers, Germany has around 80,000 engineering jobs available, and the nation estimates that it’s hospitals need around 12,000 doctors. As these jobs are filled, Germany will be able to increase productivity and the national state of well-being will improve. When people are happy and well, they buy more, and the economy is thrust into motion.

While German companies are improved by increased productivity, the Greek workers are rewarded for their work with a much higher wage than would have been possible in Greece. Much of this wage is sent to the workers’ families, who then spend the money and increase circulation in Greece’s economy.

Although many factors beside jobs contribute to complicating a nation’s economy, importing jobs is one way for Germany, an EU powerhouse, to extend a helping hand to her struggling neighbors. By so doing, Germany strengthens her own economy while lifting that of another.

Works Cited

Grieshaber, K. (2011, November). Germany invites skilled greeks to pursue jobs. USA Today. Retrieved from http://www.usatoday.com/USCP/PNI/NEWS/2011-11-14-PNI1114wir-germany-hiring_ST_U.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment